Sunday, September 20, 2009

6 year old magician

Friday, Sister Humphrey and I boarded a bus to Alfa Rimi's to grocery shop. The bus was crowded and I ended up standing in front of a seat with a young boy. We hadn't gone too far, when he scooted to the side and gestured for me to sit and he got up and went across the aisle where his parents were sitting. He sat on his dad's lap and began by just looking at me and smiling. Then it was peek-a-boo, and then he began his magic tricks.

He had a bus pass (size of a playing card and the same thickness). He would hide it in his sleeve, or in his jacket and then show me his empty hands. Soon he was doing the hand gestures of a magician and saying abra cadabra (or whatever the Latvian equivalent is). Then he crumbled up the pass and would put his hands behind his back and then bring his fists out and I would point to one and he would show me the empty hand (once the hand with the pass in it).

He had such an endearing smile and the ride was so enjoyable for me, and for him. We arrived at Alfa Rimi and I waved goodbye to him. He smiled and waved back. It didn't matter that we didn't speak the same language. I hope the bus pass was used up because I don't think they will be able to scan it again.

No comments: