Sunday, November 29, 2009

Another First in Riga

Last night, Elder and Sister Gubler, Elder and Sister Jacques, Sister Humphrey and I attended my first ballet: Swan Lake. It was beautifully costumed and performed. It was performed in the Opera House (where, a year ago, I attended the opera). I posted pictures of it at that time. It is a very traditional, ornate opera house like I've seen in the movies over the years.

Our seats were in the balcony and we had an unobstructed view of the stage. I always wanted to be graceful and never achieved it, and it was wonderful to watch the dancers so very graceful and skilled.

We had all attended the baptism of a 14 year old girl and her 8 or 9 year old brother, then went to dinner at Del Popolo's (an Italian Restaurant). The baptism was well-attended. Actually, the parents of the children are members and an older brother passes the sacrament. I had assumed these two children were baptized so was surprised when they announced that they would be baptized.

The girl, Alisa, seemed more mature this morning. I think being baptized was something she had given much thought to.

Del Popolo's has become my favorite restaurant in Riga. I've now been there 3 times. Last evening I ordered a spinach, grapefruit and homemade cheese salad that was really beautiful and delicious. The homemade cheese was cottage cheese. There was no dressing on it except perhaps the spinach leaves had been coated in olive oil. I also ordered a homemade pasta with chicken and nuts that had a delicious sauce.

Not surprisingly, it was served with the little swirl of chocolate syrup on the bottom of the bowl but, fortunately, just to the side, so it didn't "contaminate" the pasta.

No comments: