Thursday, January 7, 2010

A new and surprising way to fix potatoes

This isn't Latvian, but it's unusual enough to share with you. My companion, Sister Humphrey, had talked for months about the potatoe candy that was her family favorite every Christmas. I love potatoes about every way I've ever had them, but I just couldn't imagine it in candy. But December came and Sister Humphrey made them. She boiled a potatoe, let it cool, mashed it up with a lot of powdered sugar, until it was of the consistency of dough and could be rolled out. She sprinkled powdered sugar on the counter, rolled the dough out, spread peanut butter on it, rolled it up (like a cinnamon roll) and cut it into candy-size pieces.

I was very surprised to find that there was absolutely no way you could discern the potatoe flavor (with all that powdered sugar and peanut butter). It actually tasted like the white chocolate Reese's peanut butter cups (minus the white chocolate). Very sweet but good.

I don't know that this is a good criteria for how good anything is, but the missionaries loved them. President Dance, on the other hand, couldn't even finish a piece--too sweet for him.

No comments: